II. Personal Information We Collect
A. Actively Collected Information
This Site offers Site users the ability to interact with the Chordoma Foundation and other Site users, for example, by donating individually, creating a fundraising team, joining an existing fundraising team, creating a “Champion” or “Team” page, supporting a “Champion”, or becoming a member of Chordoma Connections online community. While you do not have to give us any personal information to browse this Site, you may be asked to provide personal information if you wish to register as a user, to submit information to us, or to use the services offered through this Site. This information may include your full name, e-mail address, postal address, other demographic information, location, photographs, videos, your relationship to chordoma (for example, as a patient, family member of a patient, or clinician/researcher), and any other information you voluntarily provide. We may also collect your email address if you communicate with us by email. Once you provide us with personal information about you, you are no longer anonymous to us.
In order to make a donation to Chordoma Foundation through the Site, you will be required to provide us with the following personal information about you: full name, billing address, e-mail address, telephone number, credit/debit card number, credit/debit card expiration date, credit/debit card CVV number, credit/debit card type (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express), and such other financial information necessary to process your payments. You will also be asked to indicate whether your employer will match your donation, whether your current estate plan provides for Chordoma Foundation, and your relationship to chordoma (for example, as a patient, family member of a patient, or clinician/researcher).
B. Location Information
We may collect your physical location information if you use the Site on a location-enabled device (including GPS, cellular, and Wi-Fi networks) or from your browser.
C. Passively Collected Information
We may collect certain information about your use of the Site through the use of tracking technologies or by other passive means. We may use Google Analytics to help us collect and analyze this information. This “passively collected” information includes, but is not limited to, the domain name of the website that allowed you to navigate to the Site, search engines used, the internet protocol (IP) address used, the length of time spent on the Site, the pages you looked at on the Site, other websites you visited before and after visiting or accessing the Site, the type of internet browser you have, the frequency of your visits to the Site, and other relevant statistics, including the following:
- Log Information. When you access the Site, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, IP address, MAC address, computer type (e.g., Windows or Macintosh), operating system version, browser type and version, browser language, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies (small text files containing a string of characters) that may uniquely identify your browser. We use this information to calculate Site usage levels, to diagnose server problems, to administer the Site, and to improve the quality of the Site.
- Links. The Site may include links in a format that enables us to keep track of whether these links have been followed by IP addresses. We use this information to improve the quality of the Site design.
- URLs. When you visit or access the Site, we automatically receive the URL of the site from which you came and the site to which you are going when you leave the Site.
- Web Beacons. Web beacons (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear “GIFs”) are 1×1 single-pixel graphics that allow us to count the number of users who have visited or accessed the Site and to recognize users by accessing our cookies. We may employ web beacons to facilitate Site administration and navigation, to track the actions of users of the Site, to compile aggregate statistics about Site usage and response rates, and to provide an enhanced online experience for visitors to the Site. We may also include web beacons in HTML-formatted e-mail messages that we send to determine which e-mail messages were opened.
III. How We Use Personal Information
Personal information collected through the Site may be used by Chordoma Foundation and its affiliates for purposes of:
- Processing donations made through the Site;
- Creating a list of donors who have contributed to Chordoma Foundation;
- Responding to your questions, emails, or other inquiries or requests;
- Contacting you, whether by email or postal mail, with information about the Site or our programs, services, and fundraising efforts, or to conduct surveys or gather other information regarding the Site;
- For such purposes as you may authorize at the time you submit the information;
- Auditing, research, and analysis to maintain, protect, and improve our service offerings, to enhance the Site, to identify usage trends, or to determine the effectiveness of our fundraising campaigns and/or individual fundraising campaigns;
- Creating a profile based on the information you have provided;
- Providing you with personalized content and functionality through the Site;
- Developing new services; or
- Compiling personal information and other information collected through the Site on an aggregate basis.
IV. Personal Information We Share
We do not sell, rent, trade, or otherwise share personal information collected through the Site, except as described below:
- Subsidiaries and Affiliates. We may share personal information with our subsidiaries and affiliates for the purposes for which you provided the information or as reasonably necessary for our internal administrative and business purposes.
- Service Providers. We work with third parties that provide services on our behalf. Such services may include website hosting, marketing, data analysis, infrastructure provision, IT services, customer service, email delivery services, and website usage analytics. We may share personal information with these third parties for the purpose of enabling them to provide these services.
- Google Analytics. We will use Google Analytics to gather statistics on users of the Site. We will use the information gathered to improve web services. According to Google, Google Analytics employs cookies to define user sessions, which allows for the collection of important data about how users use the Site. Google Analytics uses only first-party cookies for data analysis. This means that the cookies are linked to the Site’s website domain(s), and Google Analytics will only use that cookie data for statistical analysis related to your browsing behavior through the Site. According to Google, the data collected cannot be altered or retrieved by services from other domains. If you choose, you can opt out by turning off cookies in the preferences settings in your browser. For more information on Google Analytics, please visit Google’s web site.
- Google Maps. This Site also allows users to access Google Maps, which includes a geolocation feature. The geolocation feature may be used to track information about your location. According to Google, the first time you use the geolocation feature on Google Maps, you will be asked to confirm that you wish to share your location with Google Maps, and you can always undo your decision. For more information on Google Maps, please visit Google’s web site.
- Third Party Payment Processors. If you make donations through the Site, we may share personal information with third parties who process payments on our behalf. Chordoma Foundation is not responsible for the conduct of any third parties who process payments on our behalf, and we expressly disclaim all liability for damages of any kind arising out of the action or inaction of such third parties.
- Consent. We may share personal information in accordance with any consent you provide.
- Donor Lists. If you make a donation through the Site, we may include your name in our list of donors on the Site.
- Champion and Team Pages. If you create a “Champion” or “Team” page on the Site, any information you provide on the Champion or Team page will be automatically posted to the Site. This information may include your name, photographs, videos, and any other information you voluntarily provide.
- Chordoma Connections Profile. If you choose to become a member of our online community, Chordoma Connections, any information you provide for your profile page will be posted to that page within the community. This information may include your name, location (city and country), relationship to chordoma, photographs, videos, and any other information you voluntarily provide.
- Required by Law. We may disclose personal information if we are required to do so by law or pursuant to legal process, in response to a request from government officials or law enforcement authorities, or as necessary or appropriate in connection with an investigation of illegal activity.
- Certain Transactions. We may disclose or transfer personal information to third parties who acquire all or a portion of Chordoma Foundation’s business, whether such acquisition is by way of merger, consolidation, or purchase of all or a portion of our stock or assets, or in connection with any bankruptcy or reorganization proceeding brought by or against us.
V. Aggregate Information
VI. Your Choices
A. Information You Provide
You can always choose whether or not to provide information through the Site. However, if you choose not to disclose certain information, your access to certain portions of the Site may be limited.
You may edit or delete your profile information or other information that you have uploaded to a public area of the Site by following the instructions posted on the Site.
B. Do Not Track
Our Site does not honor “do not track” signals or other mechanisms. However, as described in more detail in Section II.C of this Privacy Statement, you can configure your browser not to accept cookies or to notify you when a cookie is being sent.
C. Champion and Team Pages
The Site provides users the opportunity to upload information through “Champion” and “Team” pages. Any information that you choose to upload through a Champion or Team page will become public information. This information may include your name, photographs, videos, and any other information you voluntarily provide. You are solely responsible for any such information you choose to upload to the Site, and you can always choose whether or not to provide information through a Champion or Team page. All information that is uploaded through a Champion or Team page may be viewed by other users of the Site and the general public (for example, through the use of Internet search engines or other Internet applications). Because information that may be uploaded through Champion and Team pages may consist of sensitive health information, we urge you to carefully consider whether or not to upload such information, keeping in mind that once uploaded, this information may be viewed by any member of the public.
D. Chordoma Connections Profiles
The Site provides users the opportunity to create a user profile in the Chordoma Foundation online community, Chordoma Connections. Any information that you choose to add to your profile or upload to the Chordoma Connections section of the Site will become available to other users within Chordoma Connections. This information may include your name, photographs, videos, and any other information you voluntarily provide. You are solely responsible for any such information you choose to upload to Chordoma Connections, and you can always choose whether or not to provide information through your profile page and to discussion topics within Chordoma Connections. All information that is uploaded to a profile page or discussion topics may be viewed by other users of Chordoma Connections, but is not viewable by the general public. Because information that may be uploaded to a profile or discussion topics may consist of sensitive health information, we urge you to carefully consider whether or not to upload such information, keeping in mind that once uploaded, this information may be viewed by other users.
E. Communications From Us
If at any time you decide that you no longer wish to receive notices from us regarding the Site, you may indicate this preference by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or sending a letter via U.S. mail to:
Post Office Box 2127
Durham, North Carolina 27702
F. Updating Information
We encourage registered users of the Site to keep their personal information current. You may change personal information you have provided about you by sending us an email at email@example.com or sending a letter via U.S. mail to:
Post Office Box 2127
Durham, North Carolina 27702
VII. Information Storage and Security
We employ reasonable security precautions to protect personal information about you. The Site is operated from a secure environment with integrated security measures to help protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of personal information provided through the Site. These security measures include Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology data transmission. However, no method of transmitting or storing data is completely secure. As a result, although we strive to protect personal information about you, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us through or in connection with the Site. If you have reason to believe that personal information is no longer secure, please notify us immediately by contacting us in accordance with the last section below.
VIII. A Special Note about Children
The Site is neither designed nor intended to attract children under the age of 13, and we do not collect personal information from any individual who we actually know is under the age of 13. We ask that children under the age of 13 not submit any personal information to us.
IX. External Links
X. Special Admonitions for International Use
The owner of the Site is based in the State of North Carolina in the United States. Access to the Site may not be legal by certain persons or in certain countries. If you access the Site from outside the United States, you do so on your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws. If you are located outside the United States and you contact us or provide information through the Site, please be advised that any information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States, and that by submitting information, you explicitly authorize such transfer.
Post Office Box 2127
Durham, North Carolina 27702
Last Updated: November 15, 2017.