2015 Community Conference at Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori
November 22, 2015 | Milan, Italy
Thanks everyone who joined us for our third regional Chordoma Community Conference of 2015 in Milan, Italy. To read this page in Italian, click here.
This day-long event was a unique opportunity for patients and family members to learn about state of the art treatment approaches from medical experts, hear about the latest research advances, and build relationships with others in the chordoma community. Held at the University of Milan, the conference was entirely bilingual, offering simultaneous translation between Italian and English.
You can download PDF handouts of the presentations, and read more about the speakers below.
- Welcome – Josh Sommer, Chordoma Foundation
- Welcome – Dr. Paolo Casali, Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori
- Chordoma 101 – Dr. Silvia Stacchiotti, Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori
- Research Update – Josh Sommer, Chordoma Foundation
- Importance of Patient Involvement in Trials – Dr. Paolo Casali, Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori
- You are in the Driver Seat, But We Can Help! – Father of a patient
- State of the Art Chordoma Care
- Surgery (Spine) – Dr. Alessandro Gronchi, Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, National Cancer Institute
- Surgery (Skull baseThe bones at the bottom part of the skull that separate the brain from other structures. The clivus is one of the bones of the skull base.) – Dr. Francessco Doglietto, Nuerochirurgia E Otorinolaringoiatria, Spedali Civili E Universita Di Brescia
- Radiation Therapy – Dr. Piero Fossati, CNAO, National Center of Oncology Hadrontherapy
- Medical Oncology – Dr. Robin Jones, Royal Marsden
- Palliative Care – Dr. Francesca Ricchini, Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori
- Taking Action and Wrap Up – Josh Sommer, Chordoma Foundation
See full Chordoma Community Conference agenda.
On the Saturday prior to the conference, we organized a tour of the National Center for Oncological Hadrontherapy (CNAO) in Pavia, a center offering proton and carbon ionA type of particle therapy that uses beams of charged carbon ions to kill cancer cells. Carbon ion therapy can deliver high doses of radiation to a tumor while sparing surrounding normal tissue. radiation therapy for chordoma patients. It was also an excellent time for participants to connect and get to know each other before the conference got underway. Following the tour we gathered for dinner in Milan.
Enjoy pictures from the events in Milan!
Community Conference History
Since 2008, the Chordoma Foundation has hosted a series of international Community Conferences, which unite chordoma patients and family members from across the world. As part of our commitment to serve members of the chordoma community in more areas, in 2015 we began hosting regional conferences in partnership with leading medical centers in the US and Europe. To see photos and materials from past conferences click here.